[SATLUG] Google employees to use Linux or OSX instead of Windows

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Jun 2 06:54:15 CDT 2010

> If its not the rumor is strong enough that MS had to make a statement =
> about its security.=20
>
> =
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177580/Microsoft_counters_report_o=
> f_Google_s_dumping_Windows?taxonomyId=3D125

Quoting an industry expert from this article:

		"If your entire company is moving to the cloud and the
		desktop OS doesn't matter, then why pay [Microsoft]
		for the licensing?" Storms said. "While you are at it,
		why bother with IT support systems to manage updates,
		backups, virus protection?"

		To Storms, the move smells more like cost-cutting than
		security. "[But it's] been cleverly spun into a PR effort
		to strike at Microsoft," he said.

Great, now we are being told that Microsoft is secure, but too expensive.
So by abandoning Windows you can also afford to abandon IT departments
and no longer have to worry about viruses. So if Microsoft is so secure,
why do we need virus protection??

No matter how you spin it, Linux is the better deal.

(confirmed by 16 years of personal experience)

-b.