[SATLUG] Upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04?

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 2 21:26:52 CDT 2010

This may have been discussed when I wasn't paying attention, but I see
that the SATLUG archives are under construction.

I am a garden verity desktop user who has been using Ubuntu 8.04 for a
long time with only one problem: Videos do not play smoothly.  I have a
Nvidia EN8400GS graphics card and found that the latest Nvidia driver
doesn't work with 8.04.  I did get the latest driver that does work
(173.14.12), and got some improvement.  It looks like I should update to
10.04 LTS, but while searching the forms re the driver problem I read
some grumbling about 10.04 being buggy.

What is the groups experience with 10.04 LTS?  Is it ready for inept
people like me?

Thanks,

Andy Pickens