[SATLUG] Upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04?

mark mayfield_mark at att.net
Wed Jun 2 23:35:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 21:26 -0500, Andrew Pickens wrote:
> This may have been discussed when I wasn't paying attention, but I see
> that the SATLUG archives are under construction.
>
> I am a garden verity desktop user who has been using Ubuntu 8.04 for a
> long time with only one problem: Videos do not play smoothly.  I have a
> Nvidia EN8400GS graphics card and found that the latest Nvidia driver
> doesn't work with 8.04.  I did get the latest driver that does work
> (173.14.12), and got some improvement.  It looks like I should update to
> 10.04 LTS, but while searching the forms re the driver problem I read
> some grumbling about 10.04 being buggy.
>
> What is the groups experience with 10.04 LTS?  Is it ready for inept
> people like me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Pickens

	I haven't had any more problems with it than any of the other versions.
I have had to do some tweaking here and there with every Linux distro I
have run, even Ubuntu. Although some die hards don't like Ubuntu,
underneath the GUI it is still Linux. Linux isn't Windows and you do
need to actually learn some things to use it efficiently. But there are
many rewards for doing so. No fee for the OS or the programs, the
ability to audit and modify source code, the ability to do whatever you
like with it as long as you know or are willing to learn how and of
course being able to use it without the "security tax".

	I didn't like Ubuntu One, which has all but taken over in 10.04. The
only bug I've come across is that the shut down option often disappears
in the System menu and I have to do a "sudo poweroff". I think that is
because of some configuration issues created by my in place upgrade. I
have had the same install since 8.04, each upgrade creates a couple of
issues that I work through after a while. Especially pulse audio, it
will be great if they can ever get the bugs out.