[SATLUG] Supercomputers

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 01:03:08 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Borries Demeler
>> <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Well put! Does anyone know the percentage of supercomputers/clusters that
>>> run Linux?  I would guess it would have to be above 90%.  Besides a few
>>> proprietary systems that run special unix versions (I believe some NEC
>>> may run a proprietary Unix, and some Cray models), there is actually a
>>> Microsoft cluster environment out there, but I wonder what institution
>>> actually uses that environment for real work?
>>>

>> 470 of the top 500 SuperComputers run Linux, 25 mostly AIX and 5 Windows
>> HPC.
>>

> I've always wondered why anyone would want to run what is essentially a
> single user OS on a supercomputer.
>
>  -- Bruce
>
> --

First a question?
When I hit reply to this message it put me in Rich Formatting instead of
Plain Text.
Attempting to reply to any of the other messages gave me Plain Text.
Will SATLUG accept Rich Formatting now?
I guess I will find out if this bounces...

I suspect what causes Windows HPC SuperComputers is the in-house talent you
have to work with and Microsoft being willing to give you the install plus
support. It also depends on what business area you are in, plus an in- depth
lack of knowledge about what SuperComputing is.

Here are some Balmer Bashes (the real source of the problem)---
Apple is now worth more than Microsoft.
Charts at <http://www.technologyinvestor.com/?p=2340>
Of course, Microsoft is a giant bureaucracy run by an arrogant loud mouth
who doesn’t listen and has no vision. Apple is run by a secretive genius,
who understands that customers want computers,  phones and music players
that are easy to use and don’t attract nasty viruses.
Why is Apple worth more than Microsoft?
[comment 01]
Day 2 with my iPad.... LOVING it! Problem is, I demonstrated it to my wife.
Now, she wants her own! It is very difficult to share your iPad.
[comment02]
Everyone is falling in love with and buying an iPad. Really good for Apple's
earnings. When Microsoft sells Windows, it may sell you Office and then
nothing else. When Apple sells you an iPad, it will continue selling you
neat software, neat movies and neat music. It's an endless money machine.
[comment03]
*More love for the iPad. Emails my friend:*

We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Yes, I bought the AT&T version. Works
super with great coverage all the way across the Everglades and in the
deepest reaches of Florida. Used it to pull up Interstate 75 traffic cams
while approaching Tampa to see if a backup was impacting our exit.

Only drawback, this afternoon took it to the grandkids. It was productively
used by grandkids 18 months, five years, eleven years, and sixteen years
old. I wonder if I can get a deal on a 6-pack of iPads??