[SATLUG] So much for Google being your friend.

pcdls pcdls.ronin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 08:42:09 CDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 7:48 AM, David Kowis wrote:
> On 6/4/2010 1:22 AM, pcdls wrote:
>
>> Pretty much saw this coming.  Hope none of you have made any
>> compromising searches....at least, not intentionally.
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/197955/google_relents_will_hand_over_european_wifi_data.html
>>

>> Hopefully, Texas law should have some interesting counter-measures to
>> deal with their goofiness (it does).
>>
> Because they kept the data, or because they're caving into the
> government's demands?
>
> Just curious as to what you see the core problem being.
>
> Personally, if you've got open unencrypted wifi, and someone collects
> your packets, shame on you. It's like shouting in a room, and getting up
> set when someone writes down what you're saying...
>
> David

Core problem:  There is a continuous and relentless effort to justify
these sorts of actions.  Where does it end?

I love analogies!!!

It's like having a private conversation and someone has bugged your
phone to write down what you're saying.  Silly rabbit!!  Stop using your
phone!

It's like leaving the door to your house unlocked so that people with
poor manners and a lack of decency can just come in whenever they feel
like it to check out what you're doing...and then report it.  Always
keep your house in lockdown and trust noone!

It's like going about in public, being deliberately followed, and
watched ( ala cointelpro )...but, hey, you're in public!  Stop going out
in public!

I suspect, as time goes on, the next statements to come from the
apologists will be:  "Hey, we can't help that no matter how hard people
try to encrypt their data or their communications, we will always have
the keys!"  And, when that statement is made.  Will we accept it?

Baby steps....baby steps.