[SATLUG] So much for Google being your friend.

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 10:12:55 CDT 2010

The open wifi thing has been beaten to death repeatedly in various
'technical' communities. I'm going to side with David on this: people should
take the responsibility to encrypt their own communications. If someone
cracks that encryption, then that is a different story. I liken the open
wifi to someone standing on the street outside your house and watching your
tv through an open window or door. Nothing can prevent them from doing that
(so long as they are on the street and not in your yard) other than you
closing the shades and/or door. Very simple solution, but most people are
too lazy to do it. For those that just don't have the technical capacity to
do it, pay someone to do it. There are plenty of geeks out there that will
do it for 20 bucks and a six pack (or something equivalent) so you don't
have to go to the Geek Squad, pay $180 and have them use WEP so your 12 year
old neighbor's kid can crack it in 2 minutes.