[SATLUG] Upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04?

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 22:49:16 CDT 2010

I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on a brand new
(yesterday) HP Pavillion dv7-3165us notebook purchased for $769.00 at
Best Buy, FM1604 and Culebra. I'm typing on it now.

The machine has a 17" diagonal screen, a real number pad, a 2.5GHz
Dual-Core AMD processor, 4GB RAM and touch-pad entertainment controls. I
wiped Windows7 from it completely, in favor of Ubuntu.  The touch-pad
controls even work with the Totem MoviePlayer, tho not with VLC.

For the most part, I absolutely love the combination!  The two drawbacks
I see so far, is that the 32bit edition will no longer allow Winderz
packages (exe, cmd) to be installed, even under WINE.  There's a block
in there that's likely to prevent Ubuntu from becoming mainstream by
blocking the loading of legacy Winderz programs.  At the last moment
(and in need!) I managed to replace my Ventrilo client with Mangler, a
Linux client made to access the Ventrilo network.

My second issue is that I like telltales, don't want Google Gadgets, but
cannot seem to make gDesklets work -- the first time I've had that
problem since Ubuntu 6.04.

Any suggestions? On either issue?

Cheers;
Ed