[SATLUG] Upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04?

mark mayfield_mark at att.net
Mon Jun 7 01:55:22 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 22:49 -0500, ed wrote:

> For the most part, I absolutely love the combination!  The two drawbacks
> I see so far, is that the 32bit edition will no longer allow Winderz
> packages (exe, cmd) to be installed, even under WINE.  There's a block
> in there that's likely to prevent Ubuntu from becoming mainstream by
> blocking the loading of legacy Winderz programs.  At the last moment
> (and in need!) I managed to replace my Ventrilo client with Mangler, a
> Linux client made to access the Ventrilo network.

Can you expand on that, I have heard nothing of this. WINE has nothing
to do with Ubuntu except that Ubuntu is Linux and WINE runs on Linux.
I'm running WINE in 10.04 right now, 64 bit. I think maybe you are just
having issues configuring WINE to properly run the applications you
want.

> My second issue is that I like telltales, don't want Google Gadgets, but
> cannot seem to make gDesklets work -- the first time I've had that
> problem since Ubuntu 6.04.

I don't know about gDesktlets, I use screenlets and it works great in
10.04, you can find it in the Synaptic package manager.