[SATLUG] So much for Google being your friend.

pcdls pcdls.ronin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:57:15 CDT 2010

On 6/9/2010 3:18 PM, Henry Pugsley wrote:
> I would say using unencrypted WiFi is akin to putting a loudspeaker
> outside your house so everyone can hear your phone conversations, or
> sticking your TV in front of the window.  What these people are
> complaining about is a neighbor or passerby hearing their conversation
> because it's being broadcast outside of their domicile.  The problem
> isn't Google being shady, the problem is people being clueless about
> the technology they install in their homes.  They should be suing
> Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, etc. for selling access points
> without authentication and encryption enabled by default.  At least
> when Cisco ships an access point, the radios are *turned off*, so you
> have to knowingly configure them to be an open access point.
>
> -Henry

Sounds like a good idea.  But, then, that idea would need to be applied
to all communications technology by default as well.  The lawyers would
have a field day with this.

Unfortunately, a good many people are clueless.  But, it's dishonorable
to take advantage of the weak.

Feh!  Ultimately, we are all individually responsible for our own moral
compasses as well as safeguarding our data and privacy.  I can do what I
think is right.  I can't force anyone else to do what I think is right.