[SATLUG] what is the best virtual machine?

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Mon Jun 14 13:13:09 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 06:13, Doug <ftm at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello all SATLUG members!
>
> I have a HP Pavilion, 3.33 ghz AMD 64 dual quad processors, 8 gigs RAM and a
> 1.5 TB hard drive.
>
> It is currently loaded with Windows 7 Professional with Microsoft Security
> Essentials.
>
> I would like to install a virtual machine on top of this operating system,
> and make it capable of running a Linux server distribution, keyed to
> handling a modrate vilume email server via Postfix.  The object is to have
> this machine receive email for multiple domains, scrub it for virus
> infections, anti-spam, etc then forward it to a Windows mail server (Imail)
> where users can send/receive as well as net login.
>
> I would also like to set up another virtual machine on this box to host web
> sites, with the availibility of PHP, MySQL, etc.
>
> My question is twofold:  first what virtual machine software would you
> recommend that would handle this task?  Second is there anyone available who
> is proficient in installing and setting this up, with the capability of
> using Webmin for remote administration, adding domains, email accounts,
> editing Perl scripts, and etc.  I would expect to be obligated for
> reasonable compensation for this service.
>
> I have heard of VMware, however my experience is that it will frequently and
> unexpectly crash and bring the server down.
>
> Thanks for your opinions
>
> Doug
> Whitedoghosting.

I have had excellent experiences running VirtualBox as a VM solution,
mostly on a Linux host, but also on a Windows host.

For the webserver VM guest, you might also take a look at TurnKey
linux VM appliances.  They are based on a stable ubuntu build and
offer several application stacks which give you a good starting point.
 The appliance will import directly into VirtualBox or VMware.

--
JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */