[SATLUG] what is the best virtual machine?

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Mon Jun 14 14:56:49 CDT 2010

mark wrote:
> If you're going to be running virtual servers and need reliability, I
> would recommend you run Linux as the host and use KVM for
> virtualization. If you need to run Windows 7 on the machine you could
> just image the drive and turn it into one of the KVM virtual machines
> (you may have to run sysprep or do a repair operation on it, I'm not
> sure). This way you wouldn't have to worry about a virus or malware
> infection on the host, or the steady performance degradation that
> happens with Windows.

Another plug for open-source proxmox (no, i don't work for them), which
is based on kvm and adds openvz container capability. Proxmox is an
optimized build of debian to gain all the benefits of KVM and
virtualization and has a very easy-to-use web interface for remote
control. I've built KVM from scratch in Ubuntu and had it all running
but learning it took me days. I was up with proxmox within an hour,
especially with user-friendly videos. I've run fully-virtualized KVM
with windows or you can run an openvz container that creates a VM
near-native, with 2-3% performance degradation. Windows on that i7
server compiles programs faster than my laptop. I even copied the images
from my old KVM in ubuntu to the proxmox machine and they all came right
up, saving me lots of time.