[SATLUG] what is the best virtual machine?

mark mayfield_mark at att.net
Mon Jun 14 17:17:57 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 16:18 -0500, redpill wrote:
> I am currently experimenting in this area.  I have tried Virtualbox and
> love it for desktop virtualization.  Usually i run XP on Virtualbox on
> my mythbox so that I watch movies with netflix.  I have also used it
> with success on my T60 to run various flavors of BSD, Linux and windows.
> That said when I tried using Virtualbox for server virtualization i have
> found it very much lacking in guest performance.  I/O delays are usually
> pretty high and the system in general becomes unresoponive when runing a
> domain controller, a file server, a xp guest and an win7 guest.  Mind
> you this is on a quad core (Q6600), with 6 gigs of ram and a perc 5/i
> card with a raid 5 1.5tb.
> now I have switched to a "real" virtualization by going with a KVM
> solution.  At first I tried Proxmox (highly recommend for noobs, very
> easy install Browser driven KVM solution).  now I have moved on to
> Ubuntu's KVM solution which utilizes Virtual-manager (VNC console
> management rather then Browser).  Of the two KVM solutions I prefer
> using a VNC solution over a browser solution as the browser solutions
> tend to rely upon javascript.

I don't know how proxmox does their browser configuration. I did a
little custom stuff with kvm through a web browser and I actually used
VNC through the web browser. TightVNC comes with a java applet which you
can use through the web browser. It doesn't use javascript but I think
your web browser does have to have the java runtime plugin functional.
Proxmox may have used javascript to do some things but I don't think you
have to use it to serve your machines through a web browser. They
probably used it to do more advanced stuff than what I did as far as a
web interface is concerned, mine was pretty plain.

--
cis.sac.alamo.edu/~mmayfield