[SATLUG] Create High Availability SAN from scratch

Enrique Sanchez esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 17:36:52 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> Complex question, but:

I would add that you need to add a mechanism to detect when the other
host gets hung and how to take it down to prevent data corruption or
prevent the surviving node from taking over, also known as STONITH,
short for Shoot The Other Node In The HEAD. this also would work on a
split brain scenario but the heartbeat link(s), preferably using
redundant & alternate paths,  as suggested above, should take care of
it.

it is pretty darn easy to fall for the RSA cards, but on a power
failure situation, the RSA card would also loose power, having the
potential to lock down your surviving node and preventing it from
taking over (it just happened to me).

if I have had a saying in the solution, I would have gone for an
server independent method but it did not happen.

best regards,
esv.

--
Enrique Sanchez Vela