[SATLUG] chown prob

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Jun 24 15:33:08 CDT 2010

I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 and I am getting an error that says
it cannot update the .ICEauthority and the folder does not exist so I
tried to add the folder however, 'create folder' was greyed out in my
user directory so I attempted to change the owner permission and here is
the result:

herb at herb-Aelf:~$ sudo chown -R herb /home/herb
[sudo] password for herb:
chown: cannot access `/home/herb/.gvfs': Permission denied

Can someone tell me what to do? BTW I goofed in installing and trashed
the orig partition in the 8.04 install so i had to install 10.04 from
scratch, therefore i cannot refer back to the 8.04 install.
thanks hh