[SATLUG] chown prob

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:42:42 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 and I am getting an error that says it
> cannot update the .ICEauthority and the folder does not exist so I tried to
> add the folder however, 'create folder' was greyed out in my user directory
> so I attempted to change the owner permission and here is the result:
>
> herb at herb-Aelf:~$ sudo chown -R herb /home/herb
> [sudo] password for herb:
> chown: cannot access `/home/herb/.gvfs': Permission denied

This is a normal error message for ".gvfs" when changing owner:group ID's
and/or permissions on files in your home directory.

> Can someone tell me what to do? BTW I goofed in installing and trashed the
> orig partition in the 8.04 install so i had to install 10.04 from scratch,
> therefore i cannot refer back to the 8.04 install.
> thanks hh

The reason you can't change it is that it is a mounted file system. Mounted
by you at login.
Simply type "mount" to see how it says it is mounted (for your own
information) or type umount /home/herb/.gvfs.
Change the permissions or owner:group ID as needed and then either logout
and back in to remount it, reboot, or google for mount/umount gvfs. I
usually just reboot.
This is a pretty common problem. You own it for mounting and unmounting but
the permissions cannot be changed while it is mounted.