[SATLUG] ssh not listening on configured port ?!

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Jun 26 23:44:38 CDT 2010

I've had ssh setup for a while on a different port. It has always worked
great. Yesterday I was tunneling ssh over the same port. Now ssh has
started listening on port 22 again. I killed just about every network
process, stopped and restart /etc/init.d/ssh and networking. The sshd
config file is still fine. netstat -patn shows that it's listening on
the correct port; however, when I try to connect from another machine
I'm accepted on 22 but denied on the port it's supposedly listening on.

Why?
What now?