[SATLUG] Google Chrome Browser versus Linux Distro Chromium

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:17:16 CST 2010

Anybody running the Linux Distro Chromium?

I put the Google Chrome download for Ubuntu on my 9.04 Jaunty and it
seems to look and work just like my Windows XP one.
For my PCLinuxOS I looked in:
 LinuxChromiumPackages
Chromium packages on various Linux distributions
 <http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxChromiumPackages>

I then looked in PCLinuxOS SPM and found:

chromium-browser Version:  4.0.269.34425-2pclos2010

Chromium-browser is the open-source project behind Google Chrome
Chromium Dev Build
This is an in-progress build of Chromium on Linux.
We are still working on it. Parts of the browser are incomplete,
poorly tuned and broken. User beware!

‘Chromium’ vs ‘Google Chrome’
Chromium is an open source browser project. Google Chrome is a browser
from Google, based on the Chromium project.

Don't file bugs without doing the work
Every minute spent triaging and de-duplicating bugs is a minute spent
not fixing them. If you have a good bug report (e.g. includes a stack
trace or a reduced test case), first verify it exists in the  latest
build, then  verify it hasn't been filed already, then  file your bug
using the Linux-specific template.

How to help
Chromium is an open source project, and you are welcome to help out.
We have documentation for developers as well as mailing lists and an
IRC channel.

I also looked at:
"Chromium Browser Vs Google Chrome"
<http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome>

IMHO, the Chromium browser looks pretty primitive versus Google
Chrome. Probably normal for a "beta" release.