[SATLUG] Google Chrome Browser versus Linux Distro Chromium

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 22:57:02 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Typing on an upside-down keyboard.
<ovalvw57 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/2/10, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody running the Linux Distro Chromium?
>
> I've got it installed on a SUSE 11.2 box. About the only difference I've seen is it can't make an application short cut. It gives me an error that it doesn't recognize my desktop environment (KDE 4.X). Otherwise, hmmmm... 'bout the same.
>

> --

Thanks for the feedback.
I run Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and PCLinuxOS 2009.?. I installed Chrome on
Ubuntu and ran it for a while. It had some good points and some not so
good. I have since removed it.
PCLinuxOS 2009.? Firefox was really acting sluggish and jerky for
quite a while. I wanted to try Chrome there to see if it made a
difference. If there is a version for PCLinuxOS it is not as mature as
the ones already built on the Chrome site.

The reason I removed Chrome from Ubuntu is that I am having the same
Firefox problem on Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS but much worse on PCLOS.
Chrome on Ubuntu had the same problem as Firefox but gave me a clue.
The clue was the error message "Resolving host" when it was hanging.
Both Firefox and Chrome on Ubuntu and Firefox on PCLinuxOS give a
bunch of RX and TX packets "errors" for "ifconfig -a". I don't
normally see any errors there. The errors get much worse when Firefox
is started and run. The same for Chrome. Chrome gives fewer total
errors and Firefox gives different error rates for different sites. I
thought at first Google had a problem because the errors seemed worse
when I went to a Google app.

I'm guessing I have a network problem on my DSL line. Not sure why. It
looks like a DNS resolve problem. I'm not sure if loading my own DNS
would solve the problem or have any effect at all. I have a little
troubleshooting to do.

For a while I paid for both DSL and Cable Internet. I used which ever
one was working best at the time and some days both for different
networks to compare. They do vary even on a daily basis.