[SATLUG] FOSS for AISD? IT director spot open.

dondavis at reglue.org dondavis at reglue.org
Tue Mar 23 12:30:58 CDT 2010

LUGs, FOSS advocates, et al.

 FYI,

  AISD is looking for a new IT director. If ever there was a time when your
input is important to AISD's IT direction, now would be it. Contact the
Trustees and AISD superintendent directly.

Please make a short and direct message that the new IT director needs to be
knowlegable and willing to try Open Source alternatives so that our
schools can
keep good teachers.  The budget problems can be solved if AISD can think
outside the box. Both written and emails will be good.

 Someone please pass this message on to the other Austin LUGs as well. I
don't have
access at the moment.

Board of Trustees
1111 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
trustees at austinisd.org
Tel: 512-414-1704
Fax: 512-414-1486

 We also spoke to the AISD budget committee about Linux, using FOSS, and also
the California Open Source Text Book program http://www.opensourcetext.org/.
I also spoke about ways to fund AISD other than expensive bond sales, which
incur a $82.5M debt service anually. I can't get any information from AISD on
the breakdown of the debt.