[SATLUG] updating the bios in Fedora 12

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Mar 23 19:04:52 CDT 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> redpill wrote:
>> given that the BIOS is software the benefit in upgrading is the same as
>> any other piece of software...to gain new features and fix old bugs.
>> That said updating (or upgrading?) the BIOS does carry a significant
>> risk, and should not be done trivially.
>
> What bugs?  What features?  The only function of the BIOS is to load
> the OS.  After that, it's not used.  If it couldn't load the OS, then
> it wouldn't have shipped.
>
>   -- Bruce
>
> P.S.  Please don't top post.
Sorry Bruce was in a rush and forgot to whom I was speaking.  Your
statement is true for all the older hard flashed chips but for the past
10yrs two other programs are run from the BIOS named Setup and Post. I
did my googling and upgrading on my ECS mobo over yr ago so don't
remember the details but i had a dilemma in that two identical mobos
with same model # one accepted the 2gb sticks and one did not.  Both
ran fine on the 1gb stick. I tracked it down to the setup prog I believe
it was. However it was called a BIOS upgrade.
hh