[SATLUG] updating the bios in Fedora 12

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Wed Mar 24 08:36:21 CDT 2010

On 3/23/2010 4:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> redpill wrote:
>> I know that the latter ASUS boards have an BIOS update utility inside
>> the bios. also try this article it should get you on the right path
>> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/33
>
> I don't ever recall upgrading a BIOS. What would cause the need for that?

For one: updating broken ACPI tables. (I think it's ACPI tables.)

My thinkpad needed a bios update to enable the tp_SMAPI stuff to
actually work, due to a bug. Now I can control how low the battery gets
before I turn on charging, and how far it'll charge up to. Also I have
access to the HDAPS accelerometer and my harddrive will park itself when
the laptop is moved.

Unless something is broken, however, it's not generally necessary to
update the BIOS.

David