[SATLUG] updating the bios in Fedora 12

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 04:32:39 CDT 2010

On my Intel motherboard, I have the option of using AHCI for optimal
performance, as well as the ability to hot-swap my SATA drives (which saves
me from having to buy external hard drive enclosures). I don't have to use
the AHCI setting, though.

from my motherboard manual ...
"Configure SATA as…"
IDE is default

RAID: enables RAID which may require you to install the RAID Driver during
OS installation

AHCI: allows you to take advantage of Advanced Host Controller Interface
features such as Native command Queuing, Hot plug, etc., without the option
use RAID. Requires a hard drive that supports AHCI.