[SATLUG] firebox x5 edge

redpill toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sun Mar 28 11:29:46 CDT 2010

I just recently acquired and old firebox x5 edge router and was
wondering if anyone had any experience with these routers.  I am trying
to install a different OS on this router as I am not a fan of the
watchguard interface.  I have researched dd-wrt and can only find
support for the FireboxII.  Does anyone have any experience with
installing M0n0wall or PFsense on enbeded devices such as this one?

here are the specs of the box in question:

Watchguard Firebox X Edge X5 Security Appliance Specifications
Part # WG40005
Manufacturer WatchGuard
Manufacturer Part #WG40005

Processor MIPS 266 MHz
RAM Installed 64 MB
Flash Memory Installed 16 MB
Ports Qty 7
Data Transfer Rate 100 Mbps
Interfaces 2 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ( WAN )
1 x management - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9)
7 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45

thanks for any help guys.
Todd