[SATLUG] Keyboard Problem

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 14:40:22 CDT 2010

I'm trying to restore a Pentium III PC for reugee use, but can't get a keyboard to work.  Have tried two different ones in both the PS/2 and USB ports and get the same symptoms with each.  In the PS/2 port, the three lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock) light up sequentially and repeat as long as you leave the board plugged in, but no keys are active.  In the USB port, the Num Lock light illuminates and can be turned on and off, but no other keys are active.  Without an active keyboard I can't get into the BIOS or operating system to make any setting changes.  It has the distinct feel of a Catch 22 at this point.  The OS is Ubuntu 9.04.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
Art Hall