[SATLUG] Google chrome speed tests

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu May 6 00:42:39 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kinda interesting.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0
>
>  -- Bruce
> --

Am I missing something here?
The last time I looked into Chrome for Linux it was not apples to
apples. Not for Mac either.
Has this changed?
I just looked and it looks like the same code for Ubuntu.

I run Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer on my lone XP instance and
it seems faster and better than the other two.
At some things.

Browsers are an interesting design space. The bandwidth available is
fixed. So the creativity starts with gimmicks.
Like prefetch and cache.
If they guess right from their profile of your behavior they look
really good but very bad if they miss your intent and the wrong stuff
is prefetched to cache.
They really need a feature like "hyperdrive" in deep space. When your
browser focus has been defined the "hyperdrive kicks in.
The overall result is a faster response.

My two cents...