[SATLUG] How to make video from a sequence of JPGs?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun May 9 20:42:21 CDT 2010

> It seems as if it should be straightforward to make a video from a
> sequence of jpgs; however,
>
> using stopmotion there is an I/O error
> using ffmpeg stops on an opening filters error
> using kdenlive - I can play the movie but when I export I only see a
> black screen.
>
> (I've tried compiling my own ffmpeg but that didn't seem to help.)

You can make an mpg format (below with 10 frames/sec) using mencoder.
mpeg2 format is what's used in DVD movies. Run this from the directory
that contains the jpg files:

mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf fps=10:type=jpg -o my-movie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=1800

You will need the dvd codec to play it back (any dvd playback software will do).

-borries.