[SATLUG] Google chrome speed tests

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:17:32 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kinda interesting.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0
>>  -- Bruce
>> --
> Am I missing something here?
> The last time I looked into Chrome for Linux it was not apples to
> apples. Not for Mac either.
> Has this changed?
> I just looked and it looks like the same code for Ubuntu.
> I run Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer on my lone XP instance and
> it seems faster and better than the other two.
> At some things.
> Browsers are an interesting design space. The bandwidth available is
> fixed. So the creativity starts with gimmicks.
> Like prefetch and cache.
> If they guess right from their profile of your behavior they look
> really good but very bad if they miss your intent and the wrong stuff
> is prefetched to cache.
> They really need a feature like "hyperdrive" in deep space. When your
> browser focus has been defined the "hyperdrive kicks in.
> The overall result is a faster response.
> My two cents...

Latest "browser wars" news...  some stuff, mostly fluff...  notice the
shifting of "cosmetic" features to increase effective bandwidth...
also the "focus" shift to? hyperdrive?...
[Hyperdrive - Wikipedia]

[Faster Forward by Rob Pegoraro - The Washington Post {Good Overview}]

[Firefox 4 Steps Out of the Shadows by Katherine Noyes TechNewsWorld
05/11/10 11:33 AM PT]

[Mozilla sets Firefox 4 release for November -- Outlines plans, goals
by Gregg Keizer May 11, 2010 01:23 PM ET]

[Mozilla wants to make Firefox a speedster by Paul Krill, InfoWorld
May 11, 2010 02:32 PM ET]
[Browser upgrade plans include HTML5 support, performance
optimization, and greater user control]

[Mozilla Making Firefox 4 to be ''Super-Duper Fast'' by Jane
McEntegart 3:10 PM - May 11, 2010  - source: Tom's Hardware US]

[Mozilla Discusses Firefox 4 Plans by Ian Paul May 11, 2010 9:52 am - PC World]

[Mozilla Rallies Fans with Firefox 4 Plans by: Michael Muchmore
05.11.2010 - PC Magaziine]

[Wikipedia - general background reference for Firefox 3.6]