[SATLUG] More evidence of Steam and Valve games coming to Linux

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Wed May 12 17:05:33 CDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux Gamers Rejoice!
>
> For those of you not following this already I will bring y'all up to
> date. Steam is a gaming delivery service by Valve. They also produce a
> few games themselves such as Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Team
> Fortress, and others.
>
> Since the beginning of Steam Linux users have been asking for a Linux
> client, and over the past few years several pieces of evidence have
> surfaced that such a Linux client is in the works. Here are the few
> that I can remember (not in order):
>
> - Job opening at Valve lists "Port Windows-based games to the Linux
> platform" in the job description:
> http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html
>
> - Left 4 Dead demo contains Linux binaries:
> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/steam-linux-on-the-way-left-4-dead-carries-linux-binaries.ars
>
> - Steam announced for Mac, including ports of Valve games (not Linux,
> but related)
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/valve-confirms-steam-for-mac-debuts-in-april/
>
> - Upcoming Steam client for Mac contains Linux launcher code:
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/23/steam-for-mac-beta-reveals-possible-linux-compatibility-in-the-p/
>

> Now today a screenshot leaked showing the beginnings of a Steam client
> running on Linux:
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/screenshots-emerge-of-steam-linux-client-beos-wonders-if-its-n/
>

> While there has been no announcement nor has there been any evidence
> of a full client or running games, this is all still exciting in my
> eyes. Valve is a master of leaking viral information that nearly
> rivals Apple, and these bits of evidence are right down their alley.
> As a gamer and a Linux user I am hoping!
>
> -Jon

I was just about to start a new email thread about this. It looks like
it's slowly happening that Linux is taking over, not all at once. Here
it is from the company themselves that are responsible for many games.
It just recently happened for OSX. It's a smart move on their part and
no more dual booting for people who use Windows for gaming.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0