[SATLUG] More evidence of Steam and Valve games coming to Linux

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Wed May 12 17:12:56 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Linux Gamers Rejoice!
>>
>> For those of you not following this already I will bring y'all up to
>> date. Steam is a gaming delivery service by Valve. They also produce a
>> few games themselves such as Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Team
>> Fortress, and others.
>>
>> Since the beginning of Steam Linux users have been asking for a Linux
>> client, and over the past few years several pieces of evidence have
>> surfaced that such a Linux client is in the works. Here are the few
>> that I can remember (not in order):
>>
>> - Job opening at Valve lists "Port Windows-based games to the Linux
>> platform" in the job description:
>> http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html
>>
>> - Left 4 Dead demo contains Linux binaries:
>> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/steam-linux-on-the-way-left-4-dead-carries-linux-binaries.ars
>>
>> - Steam announced for Mac, including ports of Valve games (not Linux,
>> but related)
>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/valve-confirms-steam-for-mac-debuts-in-april/
>>
>> - Upcoming Steam client for Mac contains Linux launcher code:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/23/steam-for-mac-beta-reveals-possible-linux-compatibility-in-the-p/
>>

>> Now today a screenshot leaked showing the beginnings of a Steam client
>> running on Linux:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/screenshots-emerge-of-steam-linux-client-beos-wonders-if-its-n/
>>

>> While there has been no announcement nor has there been any evidence
>> of a full client or running games, this is all still exciting in my
>> eyes. Valve is a master of leaking viral information that nearly
>> rivals Apple, and these bits of evidence are right down their alley.
>> As a gamer and a Linux user I am hoping!
>>
>> -Jon
>> --
>>

> I was just about to start a new email thread about this. It looks like
> it's slowly happening that Linux is taking over, not all at once. Here
> it is from the company themselves that are responsible for many games.
> It just recently happened for OSX. It's a smart move on their part and
> no more dual booting for people who use Windows for gaming.
>
> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux
>
> --
> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>
> Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

All I could find from search string

site:store.steampowered.com linux

was this script

http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux

which is enough proof. But for games running on Linux as dedicated
servers, that is nothing new.

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0