[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the CPS Energy Saver Thermostat?

pcdls.ronin pcdls.ronin at gmail.com
Sat May 15 17:02:47 CDT 2010

In general, centralizing technologies are a bad idea as it creates an
opportunity for controlling bodies to eventually "legislate" away the
individual's ability to decide for oneself.  Besides, what "genius"
decided that CPS needs to control our thermostats?  Isn't it *our*
responsibility to decide for ourselves how hot or cold our homes are?
Or, how well insulated and energy efficient our homes are?  All economic
behavior on our parts is dependent upon our personal resources.  We,
typically, don't let anyone else control our economic behavior.  If, and
when, we do allow it, it's usually under coercion and force.

This is a bad idea that I suspect will be fraught with security issues.
And, there *will* be security issues once you put the power to control
your AC in the hands of centralized bureaucrats.  Remember, we're
dealing with people who attempted to commit fraud over the nuclear power
debacle (in collusion with many political actors, it takes more than
"two employees" to try to pull that off).

Now, if they were to provide the technology (linux-enabled with entirely
open-source applications that utilize a highly encrypted link over ssh
2.0) that the user, alone, controls.  Then, I'd probably have no problem.

pcdls