[SATLUG] Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the CPS Energy Saver Thermostat?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat May 15 18:03:54 CDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:
> Hey..
>
> I saw a couple of old threads on the CPS offered free digital thermostat.  It
> looks like it is remote controllable by CPS via two way pager control w/web
> integration (on their side).. Not a huge fan of this.. would have preferred a
> home broadband connection that I could control.. but whatever.
>
> Does anyone have any info on how controllable these things are?  It's designed
> to allow CPS to help regulate peak load distribution so that they can do some
> sort of time division smoothing of everyone's AC loads.  Interesting idea..
> but I would like to maintain override control if need be. Any protocol or
> wired-hack info also of interest, integration with any linux home automation
> systems (like Zoneminder, MisterHouse, etc).  I think it's this model:
>
> TH8000
> http://www.yourhome.honeywell.com/Home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/VisionPRO+8000.htm
>

> NEway.. lemme know if anyone has really dug into one of these before.
>
> Tweeks
> --

Tweeks,
Are you working on some kind of a "green" home computing environment?
In one of your previous emails you mentioned this---

"On my system.. I like to underclock the CPU and remove all fans from the
system.. making for an extremely reliable setup (no moving parts but for the
CD-ROM.. and even that could be made into a bootable flash device).

Let me know if you have any questions or anything.."

I do not have a clue how to underclock (or overclock) and how it
relates to performance and wattage reduction.
My question is, "Have you looked at EFI/UEFI CULV desktop motherboards
as a "green" solution?"
If so, "How do they look?".
Laptops and netbooks are looking like TDP's of 10W or less.
Your solution is a lot less expensive but how low a wattage does
underclocking get you?
Taking the fans off means it has to be pretty good. Assuming your
"free air" circulation is good.
Is your ultimate goal to reduce electric consumption primarily in your
computer gear or the "big picture" reduction in A/C cost?

On really hot days I am now forced to turn off all my desktops to
reduce A/C use and use my laptop in suspend/hibernate.
A/C savings approach 30% on hot summer days.
I have not been able to get suspend/hibernate working for the desktops.
Anybody doing this have any desktop suggestions?
Electricity is not going to get cheaper anytime soon.