[SATLUG] Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun May 16 01:34:23 CDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
>> I do not have a clue how to underclock (or overclock) and how it
>> relates to performance and wattage reduction.
>> My question is, "Have you looked at EFI/UEFI CULV desktop motherboards
>> as a "green" solution?"
>> If so, "How do they look?".
>> Laptops and netbooks are looking like TDP's of 10W or less.
>> Your solution is a lot less expensive but how low a wattage does
>> underclocking get you?
>> Taking the fans off means it has to be pretty good. Assuming your
>> "free air" circulation is good.
>> Is your ultimate goal to reduce electric consumption primarily in your
>> computer gear or the "big picture" reduction in A/C cost?
>
> I am using one of these Acer netbooks (~ 8W) as a VOIP box and
> to drive my TV. Because of the phone it is always on, like my
> router, so I wanted low consumption. There may be lower consumption
> devices than that available, but 8W is low enough for me.
>
>> On really hot days I am now forced to turn off all my desktops to
>> reduce A/C use and use my laptop in suspend/hibernate.
>> A/C savings approach 30% on hot summer days.
>> I have not been able to get suspend/hibernate working for the desktops.
>> Anybody doing this have any desktop suggestions?
>> Electricity is not going to get cheaper anytime soon.
>
> Install solar panels. I did. Since hooking it up in January, I have
> produced over half a megawatt more power than I am using, and feed it back
> into the CPS grid for a refund check, or later use during peak usage. I
> can monitor power production in realtime through my home network and
> post it to the outside (check it out: http://71.40.230.200:5999/).
> Besides the obvious advantages of reducing your carbon footprint and
> getting free electricity, there are other benefits:
>
> * solar panels shade your roof and reduce your energy needs for AC cooling.
> * CPS gives you a rebate of $3/W installed, which is roughly 50% of your cost,
> which is pretty amazing. I'd recommend to get it while this rebate is still available.
> My installer took the rebate straight off the cost of the system, so I had no
> out of pocket on that portion.
> * The federal government gives you ANOTHER 30% tax credit on the remaining cost.
> * The day you install it you are already ahead, because if you sold your house
> the value of your house is increased by the cost of the system.
> * The city cannot tax you on the increased value of your house, it is exempt from
> assessments.
> * There is no captial gains on the portion of your house that is the cost of your
> solar system when you sell your house.
> * San Antonio is one of the best places to get solar power due to the high amount of
> sun intensity (we are very far south).
> * The system even produces enough power on rainy/cloudy days to meet my needs
> * it is a lot of fun to watch your meter spin backwards, and getting zero $ power bills!
> * and as you say, increasing electricity rates help me recover my investment quicker,
> [...]

Thanks, Borries. This is really good information. Exactly what I would
like to do.
With regard to your Acer netbook use, I read the following and it
peaked my interest in low TDP computers---
"recently setup a virtual network using VirtualBox OSE on an Ubuntu
Lucid (10.04) host.  The guests were all running Ubuntu Server (10.04)
with 64 MB RAM and 2GB virtual disk space.  That was enough to try out
running several services (DHCP, DNS, NAT, ssh, etc.) to a network of
machines.
Just an option if someone wants to explore networking and doesn't have
enough physical hardware to experiment."

[More Info]
"This was a new install of Ubuntu Netbook Remix Lucid 10.04 on a
netbook: Asus EeePC 1005HAB.  Have been running Lucid for a little
over a month now."

[My Question Is]
Would VirtualBox OSE allow you to run more than VoIP and your TV on
the Acer if you wanted to?
For what I do a netbook would cover more than 80%.
How would all the VirtualBox OSE instances work with suspend/hibernate?
Probably silly to use suspend/hibernate with TDP of 8W or less.
The possibilities look interesting...