[SATLUG] Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun May 16 05:55:40 CDT 2010

> [My Question Is]
> Would VirtualBox OSE allow you to run more than VoIP and your TV on
> the Acer if you wanted to?
> For what I do a netbook would cover more than 80%.
> How would all the VirtualBox OSE instances work with suspend/hibernate?
> Probably silly to use suspend/hibernate with TDP of 8W or less.
> The possibilities look interesting...

A couple of points:

Since I have not run VirtualBox OSE on this netbook I cannot comment on
the ability to run that on the netbook, but the network services certainly
would not be an issue. Since my VOIP application is incompatible with
Linux, I am forced to run Windows, and of course, suspend/hibernate is
not an issue there. I know there are linux distros out there that have
successfully implemented suspend/hibernate.

I have considered running my VOIP under vmware, but the netbook was not
powerful enough (the processor was too slow). There is enough memory on
it but the low speed just makes it too unreliable.

Also the graphics on this (Intel Mobil 945) are really slow, watching
full-screen internet-based movies on it is not really satisfactory
since flash is a CPU hog and it tends to get choppy.  DVD, avi, mp4,
wmv, mpg format work fine. My netbook has a 1.6 GHZ Atom N270.

-b.