[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the CPS Energy Saver Thermostat?

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun May 16 15:09:54 CDT 2010

I think you're missing the point .. it's not about who is deciding how
hot or cold your house is.  From what I've read about this, CPS will
cycle your A/C during peak load times to smooth the load cycles.  I've
seen this happen both in Florida and Texas: the first hot day of
summer causes brownouts and blackouts because everyone sets their
thermostat for 72 degrees and they all kick on at the same time.
Great, now you have no A/C at all and it's 100F outside.

The deal doesn't sound all that bad:
1) You get a free programmable thermostat (this alone saves you money)
2) The cycling only happens during peak times (3pm-7pm) of peak months.
3) Cycling doesn't happen more often, it just happens at better times.
4) You can remove yourself from the project temporarily or permanently.

What I get from #3 is they want to setup a sequence across the grid so
that as one house cycles on, another one cycles off .. to keep all the
houses from cycling on at the same time and causing brownouts.  You
control the temperature, they control when the A/C runs to maintain
that temperature.

The bigger issue here is that the power grid is overloaded and it's
getting worse as people put more power hungry electronics in their
homes (honestly, who needs 6 computers, 3 gaming systems, and 2 plasma
TVs? ;)).  I suppose the alternative to centralized power cycling
would be to increase electric rates to the point that no one can
afford to run their A/C.  Or maybe do tiered billing like the cell
phone companies and charge 2x more for power during peak times than
off-peak times.

I guess from the security perspective, the only big risk is that
someone could access the system and force everyone's A/C to cycle on
at the same time, thus causing a brownout or blackout.  Of course that
can happen now, it's just not as likely.  It's a voluntary program of
course, but in the end it could help avoid situations like I described
above.

-Henry

>>> http://www.yourhome.honeywell.com/Home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programma
>>> ble/VisionPRO+8000.htm
>>>

>>> NEway.. lemme know if anyone has really dug into one of these before.
>>>
>>> Tweeks

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay