[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation-Hacking/Override info on the CPS Energy Saver Thermostat?

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:38:51 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you're missing the point .. it's not about who is deciding how
> hot or cold your house is.

No, that is the point. It is about who is in control.

Any time you agree to centralization that you have no control of you
enslave yourself to the ones that do have the control no matter what
potential benefit might come from it.

Frogs love cold water and don't like hot water. If they are put into
water that is already hot they will jump out or try to jump out. But
if you put them in cold water they will stay there and won't even
notice as the temperature goes up, they will stay in the water and
boil to death without making any attempt to get out.

> The deal doesn't sound all that bad:
> 1) You get a free programmable thermostat (this alone saves you money)
> 2) The cycling only happens during peak times (3pm-7pm) of peak months.
> 3) Cycling doesn't happen more often, it just happens at better times.
> 4) You can remove yourself from the project temporarily or permanently.
>
> What I get from #3 is they want to setup a sequence across the grid so
> that as one house cycles on, another one cycles off .. to keep all the
> houses from cycling on at the same time and causing brownouts.  You
> control the temperature, they control when the A/C runs to maintain
> that temperature.

It always starts out looking like a great idea for everyone. They,
"Say it will save you money"

People are so conditioned to having their money taken away from them
that they jump at the chance to save or cut expenses and do not always
evaluate the long term effects or the possible changes that could come
from it later that they might not agree with and would not have agreed
with they had known about them at the beginning. Their plan will
always look beneficial for you in the beginning but it will always
work against you in the long run.

Those planning the centralization of resources that effect everyone
have their plan all laid out long before they launch. Their objective
is to save their own money and if you save money in the beginning they
don't care.

> The bigger issue here is that the power grid is overloaded and it's
> getting worse as people put more power hungry electronics in their
> homes (honestly, who needs 6 computers, 3 gaming systems, and 2 plasma
> TVs? ;)).

If a family is big enough and rich enough to have all of those devices
they have a right to buy and use them and no has a right to say can't
have them or don't need them.

The biggest consumption of electrical power is the AC/heat, water
heater, stove and dryer not all those electronic devices you listed.

--
"If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become