[SATLUG] How trackable is your browser?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:28:51 CDT 2010

Herb Cee wrote:

> what can we do about this just live wi it, be damn careful what I post?
> I feel that with this kind of ID being captured whatever u post can also
> be connected, rite?

When you talk on the phone, the telco can listen.  Do you trust them not
to do that?  All data (text, audio, video) can be reduced to a bit
stream and that can be recorded.  Is it?  Probably not, but it could be.

When you send something via USPS or FedEx or UPS, does someone open it
and look at what is sent?  Probably not, but it could be.

Privacy is relative.  The most likely component to see what a browser
sends is the server.  Only if servers are broadly communicating does
this become an issue.  And then, only if you care.

And remember, even if you can uniquely identify a browser/computer
system, it doesn't guarantee who is operating the keyboard.

   -- Bruce