[SATLUG] Bizarro Install

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 19 10:18:35 CDT 2010

Dylan Nelson wrote:

>So, Windows is there somehow. And I say why not, let's pick it. I pick the
>partition with Windows on it. And it is a Windows 7 installer. How bizarre
>is that? I haven't gone back and checked the Ubuntu partition. But wow,
>right?
> Keep in mind, Windows has never been on that PC since I picked it up from
>GoodWill two years ago and it was XP. Bizarro , yes?

You sure that was 7 and not (spit) Vista? Most consumer machines have a
reinstall partition with the original factory OS. Some are harder to
kill than others.[1]

Use Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN - see below) to really wipe the drive.
It's also found as an alternate boot in some 'rescue' distros.

[1] http://www.dban.org/node/35