[SATLUG] External Drive Shared by Mounting with sshfs - Which Drive Format - FAT32 or ???

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri May 21 15:47:42 CDT 2010

On May 21, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Robert Pearson wrote:

> I plan to use the sshfs procedure for mounting and syncing the drives.
> Probably rsync will actually do the sync.
> Should I just format these drives with JFS?
> Is there something like FAT32 only better to use now?

The only reason to use FAT or NTFS is if you want cross platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) support. If you're just doing Linux, then use whatever you're comfortable with. I've been happy with ext4, personally, but whatever floats your boat.

As for sshfs+rsync, there's no need. You can do rsync over ssh like this:

rsync -[various flags] -e ssh /orig/path/ user at host:/dst/path/

In my experience that is faster because it's not doing the additional FUSE stuff on top of the already intensive SSH encryption/decryption. Further, if you're not actually syncing the data and plan on moving it once, just use scp:

scp -R /orig/path/ user at host:/dst/path/

Daniel