[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon May 24 09:01:48 CDT 2010

> Excellent advice.
>
> pcdls
>
> P.S.  love your PV comment in your sign-off.  Do PV actually pay off in
> the long term, given initial cost, degradation, service and the like?
> Doubt it.  At least my calculations have indicated it to be
> cost-prohibitive in the long term model.  Now if I lived in a windy
> area, at least I could CNC some replacement parts to a wind turbine as
> part of a long term maintenance and repair effort using basic human
> ability.  I can't exactly develop and maintain a silicon fab lab (or
> readily find people to support it) to easily support poly-amorphous
> silicon production efforts and switch mode supplies for solar cells
> until we pull our heads out of our butts and actually learn to share
> this sort of manufacturing information.  This is why internal combustion
> engines won't go away any time soon.  Like Linux, it's established
> technology , readily shared and relatively easy to duplicate from a
> manufacturing/production standpoint.

PV systems require up-front investment, but with the rebates and tax
credits available right now, they are VERY reasonable (my recovery is 6
years to break even, shorter if rates go up, after that its $ in my
pocket).

CPS has its own reasons for subsidizing PV, because they want to avoid
having to build new power plants and very expensive new distribution
infrastructure by reducing the load, so for them it actually pays to give
out rebates.

All of you naysayers are completely ignoring the environmental cost of
burning oil, coal and gas for power production. If you take that into
consideration (as you should!) PVs are a giveaway. But I guess the
prevailing attitude is to come up with excuses why you don't need to give
a shit about global climate crisis and keep denying all scientific
evidence to the contrary. Keep on cranking down the thermostat until you
feel comfortable, keep on driving in your gas-guzzling SUV, and above all,
drill, baby, drill! I never wanted to eat gulf shrimp anyway, and as long
as the environmental impact isn't happening in my back yard I don't see
it.
But heck, it's a free country, so you are entitled to your ways. I just
hope we get a carbon tax soon so you can feel the real cost of this
irresponsibility.
-b.