[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon May 24 10:49:56 CDT 2010

> Borries,
> Agreed! However, one of the things I do not like about the way cps sets up the pv
> arrays is that you are not allowed to setup a battery cell bank to store excess it
> all has to go back to the grid. I may be wrong but that's how I interpreted/read the
> literature.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Peter
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Actually, I didn't have CPS install the grid, they don't do that. You get an installer
that is approved by CPS. There is a wide range of contractors to choose from. My installer
offered to install a battery backup unit, so I know it it definitely an option. In fact,
I know several people did that in case of power outages so they can continue to run. And
yes, you can use it to store excess power, but it is more costly to do that than
to simply feed it back into the grid, since then you don't have to pay for the storage
of it, but the meter essentially turns backwards, and every kwh you feed back into the
system you can get back for free later (say at night when there is no solar power, or
in the winter, when there is less light). So I think you misread the rules, or they
are not stated clearly. It is definitely allowed to connect a battery backup.

-b.