[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon May 24 11:17:30 CDT 2010

Borries Demeler wrote:

> Actually, I didn't have CPS install the grid, they don't do that. You get an installer
> that is approved by CPS. There is a wide range of contractors to choose from. My installer
> offered to install a battery backup unit, so I know it it definitely an option. In fact,
> I know several people did that in case of power outages so they can continue to run. And
> yes, you can use it to store excess power, but it is more costly to do that than
> to simply feed it back into the grid, since then you don't have to pay for the storage
> of it, but the meter essentially turns backwards, and every kwh you feed back into the
> system you can get back for free later (say at night when there is no solar power, or
> in the winter, when there is less light). So I think you misread the rules, or they
> are not stated clearly. It is definitely allowed to connect a battery backup.

I'd have a couple of concerns.  I wonder what the failure rate for the
panels would be.  Is there maintenance required?   Are there homeowners
association rules that would limit installation?  What are the effects
on the appearance of the house?  How do trees that shade the house
affect the economics of the effort?

That said, I do wonder about the issue of global warming in general.  I
don't doubt that it is happening, but historical investigation has shown
that the world has been warmer than it is now and 10000 years ago it was
certainly a lot colder.  Someone from 10K years ago would think that
we've already had a lot of global warming since then.

http://longrangeweather.com/images/GTEMPS.gif

I don't know about the accuracy of the above graph, but I suspect that
volcanic eruptions and solar output have a lot more influence on global
temperature than carbon emissions.

   -- Bruce