[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

pcdls.ronin pcdls.ronin at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:25:45 CDT 2010

Borries,

Anybody ever consider the environmental costs of semiconductor
production?  The entire process is wrought with chemicals and poisons
that also occasionally escape into the environment.    Cursing us with
the pain of a potential tax is no way to endear oneself to those of us
sitting on the fence.  As for this carbon tax, do you really trust the
people who want to administer it?

Besides, my point was not to nay-say, but to point out the importance of
disseminating the information needed to support this form of technology
with a broad spectrum of providers.  Until this information gets into
the hands of the rest of us mundanes, then we are at the mercy of those
who say they want to "save" us.  Tax manipulations, rebates and
emotion-fueled rhetoric will not convince me of this technology's
legitimacy as a "primary" source of power.  But, I do believe that it
has a place as an "alternative" source of power to supplement what we
currently have.

I want to see a peaceful, technologically advanced and technologically
enhanced society with a clean environment as much as the next guy; but,
the throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater politics of environmentalists
tends to be counter-productive.  If environmentalists want a sympathetic
ear, they need to promote economic balance and a more open,
information-based society to stimulate well-informed and productive
dialog.  To be fair, we should all be promoting "open" information for
it is not the responsibility of any one group but the responsibility of
our entire human race (if we expect to get anywhere).  Our current
political climate doesn't exactly make this easy.

pcdls