[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon May 24 14:51:42 CDT 2010

> Borries,
>
> Anybody ever consider the environmental costs of semiconductor
> production?

Your point is well taken, but it is no worse than other forms of
manufacturing and need to be dealt with appropriately. There are
regulations in place to handle this, although they are not always
enforced. There are no regulations to control CO2 emissions, and
that's a problem.

> The entire process is wrought with chemicals and poisons
> that also occasionally escape into the environment.    Cursing us with
> the pain of a potential tax is no way to endear oneself to those of us
> sitting on the fence.  As for this carbon tax, do you really trust the
> people who want to administer it?

The equilibrium needs to be shifted. If you charge a gasoline tax, you
need to benefit the payers of the tax, i.e., by researching better battery
technology and more efficient vehicles. If you charge a tax on  home
heating oil, the funds should be given to homeowners to renovate their
houses and make them more efficient. This must be done transparently.
If you have a better system, I'd like to hear about it.

> Besides, my point was not to nay-say, but to point out the importance of
> disseminating the information needed to support this form of technology
> with a broad spectrum of providers.

Sorry, I misunderstood you, but I agree with you on this.

> Until this information gets into
> the hands of the rest of us mundanes, then we are at the mercy of those
> who say they want to "save" us.  Tax manipulations, rebates and
> emotion-fueled rhetoric will not convince me of this technology's
> legitimacy as a "primary" source of power.  But, I do believe that it
> has a place as an "alternative" source of power to supplement what we
> currently have.

Ok, maybe I have a bit more pioneer spirit and I must say I also have
done the research proactively to find out about this technology. So I
took the dive and must say I am VERY pleased with the results. I invite
anyone who wants to see it to come to my house, I'd be happy to show you
everything, including my powerbills.

> I want to see a peaceful, technologically advanced and technologically
> enhanced society with a clean environment as much as the next guy; but,
> the throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater politics of environmentalists
> tends to be counter-productive.  If environmentalists want a sympathetic
> ear, they need to promote economic balance and a more open,
> information-based society to stimulate well-informed and productive
> dialog.

There is nothing wrong with demanding "economic balance and a more open,
information-based society to stimulate well-informed and productive
dialog." I am not sure how advocating clean energy is somehow counter
to that concept.

>  To be fair, we should all be promoting "open" information for
> it is not the responsibility of any one group but the responsibility of
> our entire human race (if we expect to get anywhere).  Our current
> political climate doesn't exactly make this easy.

Again, I agree wholeheartedly. The information is out there, while there
may be outlets that hype this or that technology, based on my research
solar technology here in South Texas makes a lot of sense, I certainly
don't regret for a minute I installed that system on my house. I mean, it
is hard to argue with $0 powerbills (actually, $7, since there is a
meter rental charge).

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer
what I can.

-b.