[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue May 25 10:00:34 CDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:18, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu>wrote:

> > If one has been keeping up with the news, even Al Gore has now reversed
> > himself on the effects of CO2 emissions and is now agreeing that current
> > levels are having no effect on climate change or global warming, and that
> > natural disasters worldwide, especially the production of volcanic
> activity
> > is the major cause, and that the Sun's cycles and the wobbly orbit of our
> > planet is the cause of the wide cycles in the earth's weather patterns.
> > Keep watch on the effects over time from the ash production of the
> Icelandic
> > volcano.  There will be a cooling.
>
> If you think this is anything but misinformation, at least provide
> references
> for your claims. Where does Al Gore say any of this? One look on his
> website
> shows you that he says exactly the opposite, the upshot of which is:
>
> Man made CO2 emissions cause global warming.

I usually don't get involved in these discussions as I do not have enough
authoritative info to be useful; but I will put forward some thoughts, and
see what feedback I get:

   1. How many barrels of oil/tons of coal/CF NG a day are consumed per day
   world wide?
   2. Of those, what percentage is used for electrical/motive power (burned,
   not part of a different chemical process like making plastic)?
   3. How many BTU's does all of that burning produce per day?
   4. Where does the heat of combustion go, nevermind the CO2 (Law of
   conservation of energy)?

 I cannot fathom how even a massive volcano, wildfires, and other natural
processes can match the day-after-day fire that is burning all that fuel.
How can we say that a fire of that magnitude would have no effect on our
planet?

Thanks,
John