[SATLUG] Re: Any Technical/Automation - now PV

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue May 25 10:15:40 CDT 2010

> I usually don't get involved in these discussions as I do not have enough
> authoritative info to be useful; but I will put forward some thoughts, and
> see what feedback I get:
>
>    1. How many barrels of oil/tons of coal/CF NG a day are consumed per day
>    world wide?
>    2. Of those, what percentage is used for electrical/motive power (burned,
>    not part of a different chemical process like making plastic)?
>    3. How many BTU's does all of that burning produce per day?
>    4. Where does the heat of combustion go, nevermind the CO2 (Law of
>    conservation of energy)?
>
>  I cannot fathom how even a massive volcano, wildfires, and other natural
> processes can match the day-after-day fire that is burning all that fuel.
> How can we say that a fire of that magnitude would have no effect on our
> planet?

Finally some rational thought. Here is a statistic from wikipedia that
comes close to what you want to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Energy_consumption.png

(This graphs shows world-wide energy usage in terawatts (10^12 watts).

1 terawatt = 3.41 teraBTU

BTW, volcanos do not get their power from burning fossil fuels. Their
biggest environmental impact is the particulate they spew into the air.
(See recent airspace closures in Europe).

-b.