[SATLUG] off-topic Solar-PV discussion

Chris crynosys at grandecom.net
Tue May 25 23:44:33 CDT 2010

>  Do PV actually pay off in
> the long term, given initial cost, degradation, service and the like?
> Doubt it.  At least my calculations have indicated it to be
> cost-prohibitive in the long term model.

Current residential PV setups range from 6 to 15 grand. In that price
range you can offset 5 to 20 percent of your CPS bill.
For 3 grand you can upgrade your homes insulation envelope well enough
to cut your total energy bill in half.

So unless your aiming for a net zero energy home the Solar PV panels
are just so much $Eco-Bling$.

Now Solar Thermal for hot water and space heating is a no brain-er.
Depending on how DIY and resourceful you are a Reliable set-up
can be had in the 1 grand range.

The current mission is to keep my mechanical room from resembling
the console of the TARDIS.

Chris (if you just have to blow 10 grand to ease your conscience,
  buy a ground source heat-pump.) Lee