[SATLUG] Bash scripting noob could use some help with a Bash script

Nate Turnage pixelnate at gmail.com
Sun May 30 08:52:43 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Don Davis <dondavis at reglue.org> wrote:

> Using the basic version of your script:
> for i in *wmv; do ffmpeg -i $i -ss 78.5 -s 640x352 -vframes 1 -an -f image2
> ${i}_preview.jpg; done
>
> worked fine for me. I did, however, have problems using .mov files - I
> don't know if the problem was with the .mov files or some lack of codec on
> my part.

You're right, Don. And it was the 'cat $f' that was drawing the binary in
the terminal.

One more question. With the script the way it is, the resulting JPEG file is
named 'filename.mov_preview.jpg' and I would like it to be just
'filename_preview.jpg'. How do I get that to work? How do I remove the file
extension from $f?

Here is the revised script:

#!/bin/bash
FILES="*.mov"
for f in $FILES
do
  ffmpeg -i $f -ss 78.5 -s 640x352 -vframes 1 -an -f image2 ${f}_preview.jpg
done

Thanks again,

Nate