[SATLUG] Writing Makefiles in Linux

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:43:43 CST 2010

The tool called qmake makes what you want to do totally simple.

You may already have it if you have qt installed on your box.

What you do is to make a file ending in .pro which describes the
dependencies among your source files and include files and the tool does the
rest.  You can make a 1 line script to automate the process if you like.

It also supports symbols, so you can define a symbol which expands to name
all your include files in
a certain directory for example.  Then by referencing that symbol you dont
have to repeat yourself
numerous times.

Qmake generates a Makefile and runs that automatically as you make changes
to the .pro file

Learn qmake ---  its cross-platform.

Othniel Graichen