[SATLUG] reinstall ALL packages (incl, apt/dpkg?)

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 23:20:22 CST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:48 AM,  <travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm wondering if there's an easy way to reinstall all packages using
> apt-get or aptitude.
>
> Cheers,
> Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.
> My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get blacklisted.

Perhaps you could try this. I've never ran it without --simulate, so
do it at your own risk. And if you really do this, you may want to
login as root "sudo su -" (if you are on an Ubuntu system), so that
you do not have to keep entering the sudo password.

for x in $(dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}'); do apt-get --simulate
--reinstall install "$x";done

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE
C69F 18B3 E13B 0909

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Jabber: recursivequicksort at jabber.org