[SATLUG] Gnome screensaver

lookcee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Nov 16 17:51:03 CST 2010

On 11/16/2010 09:27 AM, Andrew Pickens wrote:

> On 11/15/2010 11:40 PM, Christopher Lemire wrote:
>> How is the gnome-screensaver started? I've reported a bug for this a
>> while back with no response. I have two instances of it running. When
>> my screen locks, it requires me to enter the password twice. I can
>> kill one of them, but next time I reboot, I'm going to have two again.
>> I found one location that is starting it.
>>
>>    1 [Desktop Entry]
>>    2 Type=Application
>>    3 Name=Screensaver
>>    4 Comment=Launch screen saver and locker program
>>    5 Icon=preferences-desktop-screensaver
>>    6 Exec=gnome-screensaver
>>    7 OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
>>    8 NoDisplay=true
>>    9 X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=5
>>   10 X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Application
>>   11 X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=true
>>   12 X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
>>   13 X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gnome-screensaver
>>   14 X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
>>   15 X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.30.0
>>   16 X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-screensaver
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> ~
>> /usr/share/gnome/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop
>>
>> I went to System>Pref>Startup Applications. I did not see it there.
>
> If you are running Umbutu 10.04 try: System>Preferences>Screensaver
> and untick, "Lock screen when screensaver is active."
>
> It took me a long of time to find that one, so you hit a nerve.
>
> Andy Pickens

+1 Andy, I kept having lockups & screen freezes so went to the setting
and saw that lock thing, however, I still had a freeze, so I set SS to
never and I turn the screen off with the front panel button. The 19"LCD
of mine does not kill the monitor just turns the screen off including
the backlight. That seems to have cured my prob no lockup since then.
hh